Sailing School Lesson Options
Participants often start with an Introduction
to Sailing, if they like the experience and want to go to
the next step the we offer Basic Level 1 and followed
by Basic Level 2. This is the basis for recreational sailing
where participants maybe able to help with sailing a
The next level involves training for social
Yacht Club racing.
Learn to Sail – Basic Skills One
Students will learn to sail our small to medium size boats
in a relaxed informal atmosphere whilst under careful supervision
u how to sail and starts with the essential
skills you need to safely enjoy sailing.
This course is intended to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to rig and sail a small to intermediate 'daysailor' keelboat to the best advantage, using a variety of techniques under minimal guidance.
This course comprises of three, four hour sessions( 3 x 4 hour sessions), over successive days/weeks and will be delivered through a combination of ‘classroom’ work, online reading, and on-water work in a on our Intermediate sized Keelboats. Am Introduction to sailing is a pre requisites for this Basic Skills 1 / beginner course.
The Course Covers:
- Prepare and Plan - Group and individual safety awareness, clothing, safety equipment,sailing boundaries
- Rigging - wind awareness, awareness of parts of and rigging the training boat
- Ropework – Figure of eight, round turn and two half hitches, reef knot, bowline
- Sailing Techniques - Sailing to windward, reaching and sailing downwind
- Manoeuvres - tacking, gybing, points of sailing, basic heave-to, primary boat controls,positions on the boat and helming under guidance
- Man overboard (MOB) procedures and drills, towing procedures
- Coming alongside to a fixed structure and mooring, launching and recovery of craft.
- Sailing Theory and Basic right-of-way Rules - avoiding collisions, power/sail right,port/starboard, windward/leeward, keep to the right of channels, overtaking vessels
- Weather awareness for safe inshore sailing
Learn to Sail - Basic Skills Two
This course is designed to consolidate the experience and
knowledge gained in Basic Skills One.
The course introduces the next level of skills and knowledge
that will enable the successful participant to safely and
competently sail a small boat in controlled conditions (light
winds, enclosed waters) without guidance.It also focuses on
meteorology and the impact wind and weather has on a sailing
If you just want to enjoy sailing every
as a casual crew member, who has an idea of whats what, then, completing an Introduction To Sailing, Basic Skills One and Basic Skills Two is a smart thing to
do. At the completion of these stages you could be a good
first time crew and be ready to learn the next level of sailing
and racing skills.
Sailing School Lesson Components
Learn to Sail – Basic Skills One
Basic Skills Two
Expands on the skill elements and performance criteria mentioned
above but also introduces meteorology.
What to Bring
conditions may vary from cold to hot, so students should
- Windproof / Waterproof Shell or Spray Jacket
- Old sneakers / White non Marking soled shoes.
- Sun Hat / Woolen Beanie / Sunglasses
- All hats and sunglasses should be fitted with sports straps.
You may loose it otherwise!
- Sailing Gloves if available (Golf, weight lifting, bike
gloves etc, all good)We have some available if you don't
have any of your own, just ask on the day.
- Water or other refreshments, no alcohol.
- Wetsuit (if available)
- Shorts (also ideal over wetsuit for protection)
- Thermal underclothes ideal if available
- Polyester shirts and tops recommended (no cotton)
- Woolen Jumpers or thermal jumpers/jackets x 2
LUNCH - For Full Day Courses you'll will need to bring food
PFD’s - Personal Floatation Devices
(sometimes referred to as life-jackets or buoyancy vests)
Should the weather be so adverse as to prejudice the effectiveness
of one or more days of a course such that sailing or theoretical
instruction is not possible, substitute days or other equitable
arrangements, will be negotiated.
We also provide:
Offering innovative and unique Team Building activities such as Corporate Team Building Cooking Classes in Melbourne and Sydney, Corporate Team Building Sailing Melbourne Docklands and Sydney Harbour, Learn to Cook like a Master Chef Cooking School, Corporate Function Venues, Event Management Melbourne and Sydney, Yacht Charters, Corporate Team Building Sailing Regattas Melbourne and Sydney, Fun Group activities, Sailing Lessons and Learn To Sail Gift Vouchers Melbourne $95. Follow links on the left or please click below: Dockland Sailing Enquiry, or call0425752745- Melbourne and Sydney.